1st Announcement of Faculty Openings 2007
at the College of Humanities, Seoul National University
Following faculty positions (full-time) are announced for employment.
1. Number of Openings and Field(s) of Specialty
Field of Specialty
English Language & Literature
English Renaissance Literature,
At least one of the three positions is reserved for a candidate
German Language & Literature
German Literature and Culture
South or Southeast Asian History
This position is reserved for a candidate who either
1. Application is limited to holders of a PhD degree in related field of specialty.
2. Department of Asian History limits applicants to who can lecture in English.
Faculty Appointment Period
Please refer to the University policies and guidelines concerning employment for the positions applied for.
4. General Application Review Process
Following criteria and materials will be reviewed in stages: whether the
applicant’s abilities and specialty meet the announced areas (i.e., fields
of specialty): recent research achievements, total research achievements so
far, public presentation (lecture), and statement of research and teaching objectives
(including personal essay).
B. Details of the review process (including the objective vetting system) can be found on the College’s website ‘notice’ clause. (http://humanities.snu.ac.kr/eng/).
5. Application Documents
Completed Application Form (see attached) . .……2 copies
※ This is also to be submitted in e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org)
B. Representative Recent Research Achievements for Detailed Review…6 copies each (1 original)
The review committee will examine in detail submitted application documents that meet the following criteria:
1. Submitted research achievements must have been published within the past three years, including the month of the application deadline. Research achievements that have been accepted for publication should be submitted with a proof of acceptance (including the title and the expected publication date) and must have been published before the submission deadline of faculty appointment documents in the same form as when submitted for application (adding/removal/changes are unacceptable)
2. Research achievements should reach a total of between 200 and 400 points, the point value of which will be given based on the following criteria:
a. Published research achievements of a single author 100 points, of two authors 70 points, three authors 50 points, four authors or more 30 points; for research with three or more authors 70 points if the applicant is the first author or the corresponding author.
b. Submitted research documents should not exceed the total maximum of 400 points.
c. The applicant’s doctoral dissertation may be submitted, given it meets the publication period limits (100 points). However, the total of submitted research documents including the dissertation should not exceed the maximum points. In case a part of the dissertation has previously been published, it will only be considered as one research achievement.
3. Research achievements to be considered include complete separate publications (individual chapters in a published volume are not considered), textbooks, peer-reviewed journal articles, etc. Research achievements included in conference proceedings will be considered if and only if they have been published in regular periodic journals and specified by the applicant as such.
Undergraduate and Graduate Transcripts and Diplomas...2 copies each
- Translation should be attached if not in Korean or English
Official Documentation of Employment….2 copies each
- Translation should be attached if not in Korean or English
E. Personal Essay (including major achievements, fellowships and awards)..2 copies
Statement of Research and Teaching Objectives..2 copies
(including possible courses that the applicant could teach and suggestions of new courses that could be added to the curriculum as well as mid-term and long-term research plans and objectives)
G. Letters of Recommendation (from at least two scholars in the same field of specialty) ….1 copy each
6. Application Deadline
documents will be received between April 24, 2007 and April 30, 2007.
Office hours are 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
7. Application Mailing Address
send all documents to the following address:
Office of Academic Affairs,
College of Humanities,
Seoul National University,
San 56-1, Sillim-dong, Gwanak-gu,
Seoul 151-746, Republic of Korea
Attn.: Faculty Application Documents
(The specific position being applied for should be CLEARLY MARKED ON THE COVER)
8. Scheduled Faculty Appointment Date
Applicants will receive individual notification of the results once all eligible applications have been reviewed.
A. The application review process follows the above stated points as well as established University protocols.
B. All submitted documents should be in the original. If the submission of a photocopy is unavoidable, a copy including a signed confirmation of its authenticity will be accepted. As soon as the applicant is notified as appointed for the position sought, the original document should be available for confirmation with submitted copy.
C. No applications will be accepted after the deadline. If sent by post, please remember to clearly mark on THE cover the specific position applied for (department and field of specialty).
D. Submitted documents will not be returned.
E. Applicants can not apply for more than one position. Multiple applications by the same applicant will invalidate all of his or her applications.
F. The College reserves the right to terminate any appointment of applicants who have willingly falsified his or her application documents and/or have not sufficiently filled the appointment criteria.
G. Some positions, including the number of openings as well as the starting date of appointment, may be subject to change.
H. For additional information contact the Office of Academic Affairs, College of Humanities, Seoul National University (Tel. 82-2-880-9157 or 82-2-880-6008).
Department of English Language and Literature ( Tel. 82-2-880-6109)
- Department of German Language and Literature (Tel. 82-2-880-6130)
- Department of Asian History (Tel. 82-2-880-6190)
of the Dean
College of Humanities
Seoul National University